- This event has passed.
‘Kids Dig It!’ Archaeology Family Fun
September 30, 2019 @ 9:30 am - October 4, 2019 @ 3:00 pm$2.00 – $25.00
Have you ever wondered what it would really be like to be an archaeologist or what they do? Come and find out at the Abbey Museum in the spring school holidays. You can dig for ancient treasures in our mini dig, restore and identify artefacts, discover about people and their lives in true archaeologist fashion (by going through their rubbish) and lots more.
Craft activities will focus on Mesopotamian and Mesoamerican cultures.
- Mini Archaeology Dig
- Archaeology in the Lab
- Pottery restoration – can you put ancient artefacts back together?
- Midden study – learn about people buy looking at their rubbish
- Coprolite investigation – fossillised poo can tell us about ancient diets
- Coin identification – find a coin using a metal detector and then identify it.
- Bone identification – can you tell the difference between human and animal bones?
- Stratigraphy investigation – levels of dirt tell us what has happened in the past.
- Dendrochronology – the study of tree rings
- Clay Creations: make a cuneiform tablet, a lamassu, or a cylinder seal
- Make a Mesoamerican Mask.
- Pok – a – tok: the Aztec ball game
- and much more!
Doors open at 9:30am with activities running from 10:00am – 3:00pm. See program here.
Bring a picnic lunch or head to the Abbey Cafe for a delicious selection of food (sandwiches, hot dogs, and hamburgers), drinks, cake and coffee at great prices! Running Monday to Friday, 10:30am – 1:30pm.
Please note: Festival wristbands are not valid for entry during school holiday programs.